How to Build a Successful Data Migration Strategy?
How to Build a Successful Data Migration Strategy?
Data integration and migration should be well-established and seamless processes as big data drives most modern businesses. Data migration is a critical operation to drive better business decisions for many organizations. It helps them to expand their data storage and management abilities to ensure thriving, economical business operations. It involves transferring data from one application to another, or it can be a database or the cloud. Without a capable data migration plan, companies can run over budget and have overwhelming data processes.
What is Data Migration?
Data migration is the process of migrating data from one system to another. In this process, we select the data that has to be migrated and move it to a selected storage system. It can also be called system storage migration. Data migration services can also help in migrating on-premises infrastructure to cloud-based storage.
In the context of the ETL(Extract Transform Load) process, any data migration will include the transform and load steps. That means any extracted data has to go through a series of functions in preparation, after which it can be stored or loaded in a target location.
Businesses engage in data migrations for several reasons. Some of the reasons could be overhauling an entire system, building a new data warehouse, upgrading databases, or synthesizing new data from other sources. Data migration is also essential when deploying another system that sits alongside existing applications.
Building a successful data migration strategy is crucial to protect your valuable data and achieve the desired results.
Types of Data Migrations
All data migrations are not transferred from the same sources. Usually, the migration is expected to include storage, cloud, database, and application migration.
1. Storage Migration
Storage migration primarily focuses on moving the data from one device to another within premises or on the cloud. It is the most simple migration process in which features like cloning, data validation, and removing corrupt information are implemented. It allows scalable performance with lower costs.
2. Cloud Migration
When you implement cloud migration, all or some information of your business’s assets, management tools, services, applications and configurations are transferred to the cloud platform. It ensures storage scalability, firewall security, easy access, and cost-effectiveness. This type of data migration is not related to backing up data in the cloud. It is a separate project that transfers data from the source environment to settle a new one.
3. Database Migration
You need to plan the database migration if you want to upgrade the current database system or move the data from one database system to another. This process modifies just the data but not the schema. It needs careful planning, and examining a database is a crucial part of any system.
4. Application Migration
It is almost the combination of database migration and storage migration. It is applied when a company switches from one platform or vendor application to another. The management tools and virtual machine configurations can be varied at the time of development and deployment.
Building A Successful Data Migration Strategy
The IT team should ensure a successful process within budgets and time limits regardless of the difficulties and risks. The project will need knowledge, management, software tools, and strategic planning.
It would be nice to have a comprehensive plan covering the essential steps for a successful data migration project. It will enable you to select, extract, modify, and transfer data in precise form and quality. A well-functioning data migration plan will include the following steps.
Steps For Data Migration Success
- Recognize the type of data you are migrating, its format, location, and which layout you want it in the destination system.
- Scope the data migration plan to identify the resources, stakeholders’ required deliverables, business & migration expertise, reporting needs, and required budget.
- Before starting the migration process, make sure to take the data backup, especially the content you are migrating to another system. Use the cloud storage method to get the most secure backup plan.
- Make a thorough assessment of the migration process. Determine your team’s skills, the resources & time available to complete the project, and the additional help like good-quality data migration software to execute the process.
- After finalizing the right tools and resources, execute the data migration plan. Ensure data cleanliness to protect the destination system, then load the data by following migration rules and closely track the process to recognize and fix any issue that comes across.
- Now, test the system to verify any connectivity issues between the networks and if all the transferred data is secure and located correctly.
- Scrutinize the entire system to ensure everything is in place and there is no missing or defective data in the system. If you find any, replace that file with your data backup.
Choose the right software that can help you follow all the above steps and include industry standards in the project plan to ensure a successful project delivery with the least risk.
Why Should You Hire Experts for Data Migration Services?
The process of transferring data from an old application to a new one or a different platform is operated by a team of data migration specialists. These data migration specialists plan, execute and manage to change forms of data for organizations, particularly streams transferring between different systems.
Data migration specialists usually manage responsibilities to connect with clients or management to identify data migration needs. They build a strategy and plan the complete project, including migrating the data and converting content as necessary while assessing risks and potential impacts.
If you are thinking of migrating your data from one system to another, it’s best to get a specialist’s support. It may end in a loss of time and data if the project is not executed successfully. We will assist you in setting up your plan, strategy, and overall compliance to manage a complete data migration. Oamii technologies offer Data Migration services for all sizes of businesses in North America. Contact us today to get a free consultation.